The L Series of modular connectors has been designed to be easy to assemble, based on the principle of building blocks with a system composed of two elements: modules and frames. Modules of various styles and different contact types are available for different application requirements, combining signal, power, and coaxial contact technologies into custom arrangements within a single connector frame.
Smiths now offers two new contact technologies, fibre optic and pneumatic, to add to the proven modular connector series. The new hybrid module combines two fibre optic termini with the option of one of their premium Coaxtac coaxial contacts or a 25Amp Hypertac power contact whilst the new pneumatic module adds the function of the air contacts to offer the possibility of a mechanical performance within a modular configuration.
The L Series can now support additional applications that require high speed data transmission in space, aerospace, defence, and industrial market segments with the hybrid module and mechanical power within robots, testing and tooling machines with the highly versatile pneumatic module.
Both new modules can be used in the standard versions of the L Series as well as in those compliant to EN45545 requirements for fire safety, and offer the following distinctive technical features and benefits:
Hybrid module (F):
· Mix and Match
- Fibre optic interconnects for 1.3mm 62.5/125μm multimode fibre optic cables with either:
- Coaxial contacts for RG316, RG316DB, RG405 or T-Flex 405 cable or:
- Power contacts for 12-14AWG wire
· Allows designers to combine fibre optic with copper cables to take advantage of the performance benefits of fibre, including reduced size and weight, immunity to EMI/RFI, no cross talk or loss of signal strength over long distances, and the difficulty of tapping fibre optic cables which increases system security.
· May be used single or in multiples, in conjunction with a variety of L Series modules, combining signal, power, and/or RF contacts in an assortment of standard rack and panel or cable to panel frames.
Pneumatic Module (PN):
· Male contact features an NBR rubber o-ring that seals the contact into the female mating element
· Compressed air in accordance with ISO8573-1:2010, level 7 of purity class for particles.
· The module adds the mechanical performance of the pneumatic contact to the standard modules with electrical contacts, to operate mechanical devices requiring compressed air
· The mechanical performance of the contact gives the right mechanical power required by specific applications, such as pneumatic valves where the force of the air drives, solenoid valves or low-pressure pistons.
· Suitable for tooling and agricultural machinery, testing systems, robots, factory machinery.