“Mission-critical embedded systems have some of the most demanding requirements with the longest lifespans, and teams must plan to build, manage, and maintain them over years or decades. This is especially challenging in an intelligent systems future that demands increasing vigilance around security and compliance,” said Amit Ronen, senior vice president, Customer Success at Wind River. “Wind River Studio Linux Services directly addresses the evolving market needs of developing, deploying, and maintaining embedded systems. By helping developers build and deploy robust, reliable, and secure Linux-based intelligent devices and systems, Studio Linux Services can remove the burden of monitoring and maintaining platforms so developers can instead focus on developing innovative and differentiated intelligent edge systems that maximize return on investment.”
As market demands have evolved there’s been a need to speed development of innovative, stable, and deployable embedded Linux solutions. Simultaneously, rising system complexity has brought a number of additional challenges concerning security, compliance, defence against defects, and ongoing maintenance of these new platforms.
Finding defects and then repairing and deploying patches can cost as much as 100 times more in deployed systems than during the development phase. This is a heavy burden for a development team to manage while still trying to innovate and meet tight deadlines.
Additionally, the costs in resources, expertise, and time to upstream these fixes and align with the open-source community can exceed what many organisations can afford. However, failure to take these steps results in accumulated technical debt that can ultimately sink an existing product or derail development on new releases.
New Studio Linux Services include the following:
- Security and Compliance Scanning: Professional-grade scanning of Linux platforms for CVEs and license issues
- Security and Compliance Analysis and Remediation: Deep-dive analysis of CVEs and license compliance issues on existing platforms that can directly impact the open-source software of a project; remediation of critical CVEs as well as a license compliance remediation recommendation
- Lifecycle Security: Continuous CVE monitoring, mitigation, and management through the software development and deployment lifecycle
- Lifecycle Performance Assurance: A full lifecycle management service for Linux platforms and board support packages; delivers technical solutions and support to help keep software current, secure, and stable throughout the life of the device
- Architecture and Implementation: Thorough architectural assessment of hardware and software needs for the full lifecycle of the project, including interpretation of system requirements, architecting of platform system options, and recommendations for meeting business, technical, and program goals; also, ongoing technical solution assessments for emerging requirements as the project advances.