Among the device manufacturers using the new chip are OPPO, vivo, Xiaomi and Honor and the first Dimensity 9000 powered flagship smartphones will be in the market in the first quarter of next year.
The Dimensity 9000 - the world’s first smartphone built on the ultra-efficient TMSC N4 (4nm-class) production process - is said to lead the industry in computing performance, gaming, imaging, multimedia and connectivity innovations.
“The Dimensity 9000 is a milestone for MediaTek. This chip signals MediaTek and our Dimensity family has entered a new phase of innovation,” said Dr. Yenchi Lee, Deputy General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit. “It is the most powerful and energy-efficient chip to date, delivering a number of industry firsts and a full suite of features for the most discerning tech enthusiasts.”
The chip integrates the Armv9 CPU architecture. The octa-core CPU has one ultra Cortex-X2 core operating at up to 3.05GHz, three performance A710 cores operating at up to 2.85GHz and four efficiency Cortex-A510 cores. With the integrated LPDDR5X supporting up to 7500Mbps, along with an 8MB L3 cache and 6MB system cache, the Dimensity 9000 is intended for the massive bandwidth demands seen in the mobile market.
In addition, the chipset integrates MediaTek’s fifth generation Application Processor Unit (APU 5.0), which offers 4X power efficiency gains compared to the previous generation APU, balancing performance and power efficiency for a wide range of AI multimedia, gaming, camera and video experiences.
Dimensity 9000 includes the Arm Mali-G710 MC10 GPU and, to further boost performance, the chipset integrates MediaTek’s HyperEngine 5.0, the fifth generation of MediaTek’s gaming technology.
HyperEngine 5.0 uses AI-acceleration to optimise graphics while reducing the GPU load, resulting in faster gameplay that looks better and is more power-efficient. HyperEngine also integrates AI-VRS, the first AI-enhanced variable rate shading technology for smartphones, along with the industry’s first raytracing software development kit (SDK) using Vulkan for Android.
Key features of MediaTek Dimensity 9000 include:
- MediaTek Imagiq 790: The chipset’s flagship 18-bit HDR-ISP. The world’s first to support 320MP on smartphones, and the world’s first to support simultaneous triple camera 18-bit HDR video recording. The 9Gpixel/s ISP also supports 4K HDR Video + AI noise reduction that enables the highest quality results even in extreme low-light scenarios.
- Leading 3GPP Release-16 5G Modem: The integrated 5G modem amplifies sub-6GHz performance up to 7Gbps downlink using 3CC Carrier Aggregation (300MHz). It also features the world’s 1st R16 UL enhancement, and continues MediaTek’s dual SIM leadership with new 5G/4G Dual SIM Dual Active support. The modem also integrates MediaTek's 5G UltraSave 2.0 power-saving enhancement suite for improved efficiency.
- MediaTek MiraVision 790: The chipset can support the latest 144Hz WQHD+ displays or super-fast 180Hz Full HD+ displays, while optimising power efficiency with MediaTek’s Intelligent Display Sync 2.0 technology. Furthermore, MediaTek’s latest Wi-Fi Display technology can support up to 4K60 HDR10+ video.
- Wi-Fi 6E, New GNSS with Beidou III-B1C and New Bluetooth 5.3: Smartphone users can enjoy seamless connectivity thanks to the chipset’s support for the latest Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GNSS standards.
- Dimensity 5G Open Resource Architecture: The Dimensity 9000 allows smartphone device makers to create customised flagship 5G smartphones.
Smartphones powered by the MediaTek Dimensity 9000 flagship 5G mobile platform will be available in the market in the first quarter of 2022 and the new chip is supported by some of the world’s biggest device makers.