By integrating several components into a single-chip overall system costs for OEMs has been reduced and with ultra-low power consumption (<1W), the IC eliminates the need for cooling hardware. As a result, the Cayenne IC enables smaller form factor industrial designs for emerging travel docks, dongles, video-hubs and protocol converters.
Cayenne’s high-bandwidth video performance delivers consumers future-proof support for 8K and 10K displays, and backward compatibility to support existing 4K and older displays. The Family supports all the video (DP1.4) and data (USB3.1 Gen2) modes of USB-C Alt-Mode that are integrated into the latest Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm CPU powered notebooks, tablets, and smartphones.
“Our Cayenne video interface family is generating tremendous interest in the market due to its ultra-low power consumption that is almost half of competitive HDMI 2.1 solutions and its high level of integration enables lower cost and smaller industrial designs,” said Saleel Awsare, senior vice president and general manager, IoT Division at Synaptics. “USB-C Alt-mode has been the fastest growing video market segment over the past year, out-selling all other USB-C video solutions, and our customers are very eager to be first-to-market with Cayenne.”
Key benefits and specifications:
- Supports DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 standards
- High bandwidth video – including dynamic HDR and gaming features for consumer and gaming displays, with future-proof support for 8K and 10K displays
- Low cost solution – USB de-mux and CC/PD integration substantially reduces the system level bill-of-material costs
- Ultra-low power consumption – enables energy efficient/low thermal design for the bus powered accessories and small form factor industrial designs
- Advanced security – built-in HW/FW device security and HDCP v1.x/v2.3 content protection compliant with industry standards
- Universal – works with any host with USB-C connector that supports video and data. Compatible with DisplayPort, Thunderbolt 3 and USB4 sources.