comment on this article

Keep it down!

The technology behind one of the most critical but neglected power chain devices. By Mick Burgoyne.

Although the last decade has seen an improvement in the reliability of the mains power supply - at least as far as the incidence of outages is concerned - we are now experiencing a greater number of transient voltage surges than ever before, with consequent damage to all manner of equipment.
It is important to distinguish between internally and externally generated voltage surges, because they will frequently have differing effects on electrical equipment. It may seem surprising, but the majority of transient voltage surges are actually generated by an organisation's own equipment.
Research indicates that up to 80% of voltage surges come from internal sources such as motors, fluorescent lights, photocopies and other switching devices. The remaining 20% of transients, generated externally, tend to receive more attention however, because they are more dramatic. But because modern mains powered electronic equipment is highly susceptible to sudden voltage variations, voltage surge suppression is an essential part of any organisation's power protection regime.
Internally generated transients will normally be of a lower peak voltage, rarely causing immediate equipment failure. However, the cumulative damage could lead to premature failure over a period of time. This, in turn, will result in data loss and corruption, with consequent downtime and increased costs.

Click here to request this article by email


Author
Vanessa Knivett

Comment on this article


This material is protected by MA Business copyright See Terms and Conditions. One-off usage is permitted but bulk copying is not. For multiple copies contact the sales team.

What you think about this article:


Add your comments

Name
 
Email
 
Comments
 

Your comments/feedback may be edited prior to publishing. Not all entries will be published.
Please view our Terms and Conditions before leaving a comment.

Related Articles

TESSY integration

Imperas Software has announced that Razorcat Developments, a provider of ...

Faster charging IC

Analog Devices has released the MAX77659, a single-inductor multiple output ...

Get to market faster

A quick look at using Vicor's PFM and AIM in VIA packaging for your AC to Point ...

Unboxing the FR5969

Check out what's in your FR5969 Launchpad + Booster Pack bundle kit. The board ...

World IoT Day

ByteSnap Design, a specialist in embedded systems design and development, has ...

Semiconductor boom

Compared to an ailing steel industry, just a few years ago, the semiconductor ...

Fit for service

There are some truly exciting opportunities on the horizon. Over recent years, ...

New possibilities

With the recent investment in the business by DBAG congatec is poised for ...