09 February 2012
LEDs and led driver packages for advanced indicator applications
ROHM Semiconductor has announced its new low current, high brightness chip led SMLx family featuring various package sizes and colour ranges for usage in advanced automotive cluster and indicator applications.
Due to the increasing number and enhanced performance of indicator applications, leds have to meet high expectations in terms of efficiency, luminous excellence, low power and reliability. According to ROHM, based on a wide range of packages, an excellent heat radiation and high brightness parts, its new line up complies with these particular needs.
The new SMLTx , SMLMs and SMLZ families are able to emit OEM colours such as blue lagoon, ice blue, sapphire blue and blue green, including InGaN based pure green. Different package types and sizes provide designers with a range of devices in order to facilitate the optimum solution for their LED design.
Key specifications of the SMLx, SML-Dx and SML-Mx series:
* High heat dissipation packages
* Different packages: PLCC2, Chip LED 0603, reflector 0603&0805, lens type
* Package heights: from 0.55mm to 1.9mm
* OEM colours available, InGaN-based pure green colour
* Forward current IFmax. 20~60mA
* white, standard colors blue to red, pastel
* Luminous intensity (mcd) IV * 16 to 4800
* Operating temperature range: -40° to +100°
* Peak forward current IFP from 100 to 300mA
* Reverse voltage VR 5~12V
* Forward voltage VF(V) 2.0~3.5@20mA
With the development of its new BD8377 LED driver series, ROHM says it is able to provide a complete design solution for indicator lights in automotive cluster applications. The new IC is a 12 channel 50mA/ch led driver in an SSOP-B20 package. It supports cascade connections in order to increase the number of channels and the number of leds which can be driven and controlled. The devices feature a 35V DMOS Open Drain output mosfet for multiple driving and efficient power saving as well as low emc noise with an output slew rate of 20V/usec.
The BD8377 is the first product of a new family of automotive indicator led drivers. ROHM is already developing the next generation versions of this driver which will expand the feature set by adding advanced diagnostic and dimming functions.
Key Features of BD8377 led Drivers:
* 12bit serial-in/parallel-out interface
* 35V DMOS Open Drain output
* Max. current 50mA/ch (DC)
* Max. current 150mA/ch (pulse)
* Ron of power MOSFET 6O (typ)
* Cascade connection possible
* Output slew rate 20V/usec (for low EMC noise)
* SSOP-B20 small package
Rohm (Great Britain) Ltd
This material is protected by Findlay Media copyright
One-off usage is permitted but bulk copying is not.
For multiple copies contact the